Friday, January 21, 2011

The "room" is lovely dark and deep...

But I have promises to keep...
And miles to go before I sleep...
And miles to go before I sleep...

So I just got back from a business trip and it was such a revealing experience as a new blogger. I wasn't able to post as frequently as I wanted to, in addition I felt like the posts I did add weren't as dynamic as I like them to be. It's due to many things, the room, the camera, the computer - all of which contributed to the same outcome. So what's a girl to do... well I've come up with some tips to help me on future trips.

1) Never leave home without your camera. I know, this should be a no-brainer. My camera isn't that big - it's not a fancy professional camera, it's just a point and shoot digital. I have no idea why I didn't bring it - I just figured my cell phone camera would suffice. I apologize in advance for the quality of the pics in this post. I promise I've learned my lesson.

2) Not all hotels are created equal. Let me explain; I stayed at the same hotel that I normally stay at, and I will admit that my room this time had some quirks like mirror location (as you'll see in my photos), but lighting and space to take pictures are all important to a fashion blogger. I have already made changes to my hotel selection for upcoming trips!

3) Not all computers are created equal. I am a Mac girl. I have a MacBook, an Iphone, an Ipod (before I got the phone), and as soon as it comes out, an IPad second generation. But since I was traveling on business I decided to just bring my work laptop (IBM). Now the IBM is great for work, but not so great for uploading, cropping, posting, and just general blogging. Unfortunately I really don't want to lug around a second laptop when I travel, and rumor has it the Ipad second generation won't be available until May. What's a blog-girl to do? Tip number 4...

4) Plan blogs ahead. If I am going to create the posts that you wonderful ladies deserve I can't do it on an IBM, so I'm going to have to plan/write some of my posts ahead of time. Even if it's a general idea/topic and the pictures are added later. This way I feel confident in the fact that I will be able to post at least every other day with a substantial installation on "A Mile". And if I have time (seriously it took forever!) to finagle with the IBM I can add additional posts.

J. Crew Skirt
Nordstrom Private Label turtelneck sweater
Sam Edelman
Boots
Hue Tights

Yes - I am in a closet. Why? It is plainly obvious that a woman didn't design this room because the mirror is on the back of the closet door. So in order to use it I had to walk in the closet, close the door, and pray the picture gods were on my side. The lighting was awful!
American Eagle Necklace
I couldn't bring myself to get back into that closet, so on day two I tried a method I'd seen Kimmie, from The Kimmie Chromicals, use on her blog. Still, the lighting leaves much to be desired.





















American Eagle Cardigan
J. Crew Long Sleeve Button-up
Kenneth Cole Skirt
Hue Tights
Sam Edelman Boots

Lia Sophia Necklace
What is your experience with travel and blogging? Any tips you can share??

1 comment:

  1. Be careful up there! It's a precarious balance, but you worked that bathtub! :) I love this look! I really wish I could find a pair of knee-high boots that fit my big feet and skinny ankles. You are rocking those boots!

    ReplyDelete