Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Thank You Ms. Davis

I only watched an hour or so of the Oscar presentation, but I watched the red carpet from 6:00 to the start of the show at 8:30. There were some gorgeous dresses and dashing suits, but what really caught my eye was Viola Davis' hair. Why you might ask? I am so happy that she has the confidence to wear her natural hair. Rock the fro! I feel like Hollywood can be so confining sometimes. I understand that actors need to be chameleons in order to completely become into a character, but I feel like everyone looks alike on and off the set. Most of the black actresses (at least the mainstream ones) have straight hair, either chemically relaxed or woven in. Don't get me wrong, I think if that's how you want to wear your hair then more power to you. But I find it very hard to believe that 100% of the black actors want the same exact hairstyle. The same. Exact. Hairstyle! Give me a break! I see so many people walking the streets with natural hair, you're telling me that none of those natural ladies lives in the LA/Hollywood area (insert side eye here). I've been natural for 8 years now, and my mom just went natural a year ago (her hairstyle looks like Ms. Davis') so I know we are out there. So kudos to you Ms Davis, and thank you. Thank you for bucking the norm and wearing your hair in it's natural state. Thank you for letting America know that straight hair isn't the only style that black women can rock. And thank you for just being the beautiful, stunning (I mean look at her bone structure and smooth skin!), phenomenal woman that you are.

P.S. Your dress (Vera Wang) was out-of-this-world gorgeous! :o)

Photo curtsey of Allure

Photo curtsey of Fashion Police

No comments:

Post a Comment